First I want to address the question that all you guys are wondering, “Is Dwayne Johnson juicing?”
The answer – most likely.
Now before you guys start hating, just think for a second. Look a Dwayne’s physique 5-8 years ago. Even then he already a very muscular body. And if you asked me back then if he was juicing, I probably would have said no.
But over the past few years, Dwayne reportedly gained anywhere from 10-20 pounds of additional muscle for Pain & Gain. You guys have to realize that this is physiologically impossible.
For a guy like Dwayne, gaining even 10 pounds of muscle after already training for so long simply isn’t possible for someone who’s natural.
But don’t get me wrong, I still love Dwayne Johnson. You guys just have to realize that you’ll never be able to naturally reach his level of muscularity.
The workout I outlined below isn’t the official Dwayne Johnson workout, but is instead it’s just an awesome workout to pack on muscle efficiently.
Dwayne Johnson workout
- Dumbbell bench press – 3 sets x 8 reps
- Pec fly – 3 sets x 12 reps
- Arnold dumbbell press – 5 sets x 8-10 reps
- Side to front lateral raises – 3 sets x 13-15 reps
- Skullcrushers – 3 sets x 12-15 reps
- Tricep pushdown – 2 sets x failure
- Bent over row – 3 sets x 8 reps
- Weighted chins – 3 sets x 8 reps
- 1 arm rows- 3 sets x 12 reps per arm
- Reverse curl – 3 sets x 13 reps
- EZ bar curl – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Preacher curl – 2 sets x failure
Day 3 (legs)
- Deadlift (or rack pull) – 3 sets x 4-5 reps
- Barbell front squat – 4 sets x 8-15 reps (start off at 15 reps and pyramid down)
- Dumbbell step-ups – 3 sets x 8 reps per leg
- Leg press – 3 sets x 12-15 reps
- Some type of calf raise variation – 6 sets x 12-20 reps
Day 4 (full body conditioning)
- High pull – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell snatch – 3 sets x 8 reps per arm
- Dumbbell swing – 2 sets x 15 reps
- Shrugs – 3 sets x 8 reps
- Side lateral raises – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Superset cable curl and triceps overhead extension – 3 sets x 12 reps
- Lift with intensity. Most guys can lift 8 reps, but they do it with a non-challenging amount of weight. Make sure the weight you choose is heavy and challenging.
- Brace your abs on all exercises, especially on the deadlift, back squat, and 1 arm dumbbell row. Bracing your abs not only gives you a stronger harder core, but also insures that you’re doing the exercise with correct form.
- You’ll need to wait at least a couple weeks before you see results. Please stay consistent for at least 4-6 weeks before declaring this workout as crap.
[Just had to show this! The fight scene from Fast Five – probably the most awesome fight scene of 2011]
Dwayne Johnson diet
Some people want to build muscle, others want to lose fat, so here are 2 different dieting approaches depending on your goal.
Diet for building muscle
Although I’m not a huge fan of traditional bulking diets since they tend to put on more fat than muscle, you do need to eat in a caloric surplus to gain muscle, and there’s no doubt in my mind that Dwayne ate like a mad men to pack on that mass.
Here are my recommendations for dieting to build muscle without too much fat:
- If you’re under 25 and have never weight trained consistently before, then eat at a 500 caloric surplus every day
- If you’re over 25, then eat at your maintenance level on your non-training days and eat at a 400-500 caloric surplus on your training days.
As for protein, you don’t need to eat 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight like everyone says. Heck, I used to believe you needed a ton of protein to build muscle. But as long as you average around 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, you should be good to go.
Diet for fat loss
- Your only goal of this diet is to simply eat in a caloric deficit.
- A good fat loss goal would be 1 pound per week(3500 calorie deficit).
- To set your deficit, you could simply eat at a 500 caloric deficit per day, but that would leave room for few mistakes if you decide to indulge on the weekends. If you want to diet while still being able to enjoy yourself, you should give intermittent fasting a shot.
- If you’re looking for a list of foods you should and shouldn’t eat, then you’re not going to find it here. I’m not a fan of telling people what to eat. I only tell them how much to eat, because frankly, that’s one factor that the majority of people overlook.. You can eat whatever you want, just aim for a couple fruits and veggies per day and hit your protein requirements. That’s all.
But what about supplements?
In all honesty, you probably don’t even need supplements to get a body like Dwayne Johnson. But in terms of general health, these are ONLY supplements I recommend:
- A multivitamin – t0 safeguard against any vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Almost any multivitamin should do.
- Fish oil (6-10 grams per day) – the reason I recommend them is because most people are taking in more omega 6 fatty acids and the omega 3’s helps balance that out.
- Protein powder – if you’re unable to hit your requirements (0.7 grams) through real food.
A serious muscle building workout
Dwayne Johnson is no doubt in amazing shape, whether he’s juicing or not.
And if you really want to take your workout and muscle building journey to the next level I recommend checking out the Muscle Gaining Secrets 2.0 by Jason Ferruggia.
When it comes to getting guys jacked, there are few guys who do it better than Jason.
Drop a comment and let me know what you think about the Dwayne Johnson workout program.
P.S. If you need some badass workout apparel, I recommend checking out Borntough.