Joe Manganiello Workout Routine For True Blood
Note: This is a workout I wrote a few months back, but the exact same principles apply when trying to get a body like Joe Manganiello in Magic MIke. Also this is part of my Magic Mike workout series – click here to get more workouts to build a body that women love.
I must say, Joe Manganiello has a very impressive body. If I ever made a list of the most lean and ripped physiques in Hollywood, Joe would definitely be in the top ten.
His body is the type of body that most guys should strive for, really lean and defined but not overly muscular.
What’s funny is before Joe landed a role on the awesome show True Blood (you guys gotta watch it), Joe said that when he worked out, he would simply try to get as big as humanly possible. He would be working out way too much and would be eating way too many calories, which in the end just made him look more fat than muscular.
But as Alcide, Joe really leaned down and now has one of the most impressive physiques in Hollywood.
Joe Manganiello workout
As you can tell from the picture above, Joe is in absolutely incredible shape. And because of his role as the werewolf Alcide on True Blood, he needs to stay in this sort of condition.
To get this kind of physique, Joe focused on exercises like the bench press, pull ups, and close grip push ups to build his upper body while he used exercises such as squats and dumbbell lunges to build his lower body.
An example of the Joe Manganiello workout routine would look something like this:
Note: this is a full body beginner muscle building routine to be done 3x per week.
- Incline dumbbell press: 3 sets for 8 reps
- Weighted parallel bar dips: 2 sets for 5 reps
- Weighted chin ups: 3 sets for 8 reps
- Wide grip cable row: 2 sets for 6 reps
- Barbell front squat: 3 sets for 5 reps
- Reverse lunges: 2 sets for 8 reps per leg
- Calf raise: 4 sets for 15-20 reps
- Barbell curl: 3 sets for 8-10 reps
For a complete step-by-step workout routine on how to achieve a lean and ripped Hollywood physique like Joe Manganiello, I recommend checking out the Adonis Index.
How to eat to get ripped abs
You should know this by now already, diet is more important than exercise. Even if you follow the workout program above, you’re going to look nothing like Joe if you don’t watch your diet closely.
If your goal is gain muscle, then you need eat more calories, especially if you’ve never worked out with weights before.
- Aim to eat about 500 calories over your maintenance calories on workout days to minimize fat gains.
- Don’t worry too much about protein. There’s research suggesting that going as low as even 0.6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is enough to stimulate muscle growth.
Once your gained a good amount of muscle, you’re going to want to start shedding fat so that you can get ripped abs like Joe. Judging by Joe’s body, he has around 6-8 percent body fat.
- One of my favorite ways of dieting is by using intermittent fasting. But if you’re not too keen on fasting to lose weight, then just make sure you’re eating in a caloric deficit.
- To lose fat, a good starting point is to multiple your bodyweight in pounds by 10-12 depending on your activity level. This will allow to lose about 1 pound of fat per week.
- Don’t worry about silly stuff like eating 6 meals per day or eating breakfast. Just experiment and find out what works for you. Everyone’s different
- Most people don’t believe me, but in the end, a calorie is a calorie (it’s just a measure of energy). Don’t stress out too much about what to eat, just focus on the amount you’re eating.
Women love this guy
And hey, I don’t blame them. This guy has a close to perfect body. He’s not super skinny, nor does he have an extreme amount of muscle. Joe has achieved the perfect balance of muscle and leanness that most women find attractive.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the Joe Manganiello workout routine and diet in the comments below.
[This is part of my Magic Mike workout series – click here to get more workouts to build a body that women love.]