How To Eat To Lose Fat Fast
The concept behind losing fat is simple. I mean ridiculously simple.
In fact, when it comes to scientific concepts, losing fat is as simple as they come, right after where babies come from (and everyone knows the stork brings babies to their parents).
To lose fat fast, you simply have to eat less than your maintenance calories, and the fat will come right off.
However, it seems that the fitness industry wants fat loss to be incredibly difficult. Every year, hundreds of new diets, weight loss supplements, and just all-around bogus information are released. A lot of this information is contradicting, lacks scientific proof, and is simply created to make a quick buck.
There are sooooo many contradicting statements made in the fitness industry that it scares me sometimes. For diets, there’s low carb, low fat, vegan, paleo, Jenny Craig, Atkins, South Beach, the list goes on and on.
And then there are the guys who argue about the foods you must or must not eat otherwise you’ll fuck up your body. These are the guys that argue about whether or not caffeine is good for you, whether or not egg yolks will raise your cholesterol, or whether or not eating little baby pandas will prevent wrinkles.
Fat loss seriously doesn’t have to be hard, so here’s a guide on how to eat lose fat fast without all the confusing crap. Follow the next steps closely, and I promise that you will lose fat without pulling your hair out.
1) Calculate you maintenance level calories
Your maintenance level calories are the calories needed to simply maintain your current weight.
Maintenance calories = Your bodyweight in pounds * 14 or 15. (Note: this is just an estimate)
Eat at your maintenance level for 3 days. If your weight remains the same, then you are good to go. If you gain weight, then lower your maintenance calories by 100 per day, until your weight stabilizes. If you lose weight, increase your calories by 100 per day.
2) Create a caloric deficit by eating 500 less than your maintenance level calories
One pound of fat is about 3500 calories.
Eating at a 500 calorie deficit will equate to about 1 pound of fat loss per week.
Start with a 500 calories. You can go lower than that to accelerate fat loss, but don’t do it right away. This typically never works and you’ll just end up binging and gaining back the weight.
Technically, you can go ultra low calorie to lose more weight, but you need to be strategic about it.
3) Choose a meal frequency and stick with it
The next step is to choose a meal frequency, which is the number of times you eat per day. Try to keep the number of meals per day the same so that you stay on a consistent schedule and don’t have any unexpected hunger attacks. So don’t eat 2 big meals on Monday, then eat 6 mini meals on Tuesday.
It doesn’t matter if its 1, 2, 3, or 6 meals per day. The whole 6 meals per day theory is complete crap, so just ignore it and choose a meal frequency that fits your schedule and and lifestyle.
4) Emphasize protein and get at least 0.6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight every day
Protein is the most satiating macro nutrient, meaning you’ll feel fuller from eating protein than eating carbohydrates or fat. So if you enjoy feeling full after each meal, aim for more protein.
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight like all fitness professionals say. 0.6 grams is plenty enough to maintain and even build muscle. However, more protein will not harm you.
The cool thing is that even if you don’t hit your protein requirements for one day, you can just make up for it the next day. Your body has the ability to recycle proteins from previous days so don’t sweat it if you miss a few grams of protein. Just try to hit a weekly average of 0.6 grams a day.
– For more info on the truth about protein. Check out Brad Pilon’s How Much Protein. In my opinion, this is the best book on protein in the industry.
5) Take a multivitamin, fish oil, and eat a lots of fruits and veggies
– I also want you to take a multivitamin every day to cover your vitamin and mineral bases.
– For fish oil, aim for 6-10 grams per day.
– Multivitamins and fish oil are the only supplements that I recommend people take. This is because they’re only ones that actually benefit people and are backed with enough science.
– A multivitamin will help insure that you aren’t in any and mineral or vitamin deficiency, and the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil help balance out the omega-6 fatty acids we eat. I currently get my supplements from Prograde Nutrition.
– Also, eat plenty of fruits and veggies. This isn’t because fruits and vegetables have any magical fat burning properties, but they’ll help you feel a bit fuller so you don’t stuff your face with gummy worms and beer. Plus fruits and veggies provide your body with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
6) That’s it. Have fun, eat whatever you want, and lose fat
Seriously, that’s it. Were you expecting it to be harder?
I know that this is a very brief outline, but this is seriously all you need to know on what to eat to start losing fat. You can eat burgers and ice cream every day for all I care, as long as you’re following all the steps above and eating in a deficit.
You’re going to have to experiment with what foods work best for you. Some foods make people feel fuller than others, so experiment, and who knows, you might discover some new favorite foods during your diet.
So there it is, your quick guide on how to eat to lose fat fast. Get to it and let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.